The results from a recent survey conducted for the NAJ Group by San Francisco-based Destination Analysts show a strong presence of tour operators—domestic, international and receptive. The online survey was sent out in late October and early November to more than 4,800 recipients comprising travel trade professionals who make up NAJ’s subscriber base and use its website, TheTourOperator.com. Highlights from the results of the survey include the following:
- More than a third (35.3 percent) of respondents are domestic tour operators.
- Almost half (46.4 percent) are international operators, travel agents or inbound receptives.
- More than three out of four (78.6 percent) sell leisure group tours, and more than half (52.6 percent) sell FIT independent tours, while Fly-Drive and MICE business are sold by 31 percent and 21.4 percent, respectively.
- The tour operator segment is generally comprised of small businesses—more than three quarters of this segment’s survey respondents were an organization with 10 or fewer employees (49.8 percent) or 11-50 employees (27.9 percent).
- During the survey period, nearly half of the respondents (48.7 percent) said that there 2015 bookings were about the same as their 2014 bookings at the same point in the previous year, while 43.4 percent reported that their bookings were “greater than last year.”
For the complete slide show illustrating the survey results, click on: