DLR trains will not stop at Custom House station until late December 2017: One of the main railway stations for London’s ExCeL Conference & Exhibition Centre, the venue for the upcoming (Nov. 6-8) World Travel Market (WTM), will be closed during this year’s show, disrupting travel plans for thousands of visitors.
Transport for London said Custom House on the Docklands Light Railways (DLR) , which WTM visitors use to enter ExCel via the West Entrance, has shut as part of the station’s infrastructure improvement for the new Elizabeth Line. In the meantime, DLR tells us that, for WTM:
• Visitors are advised to use DLR Prince Regent station, serving ExCel’s east entrance, instead.
• DLR will operate an increased frequency to Prince Regent and Royal Victoria stations between Tower Gateway and Becton, and Stratford and Woolwich Arsenal. Trains will serve both Royal Victoria and Prince Regent stations every 2.5 minutes throughout the duration of WTM London.
• For the West Entrance delegates are advised to use DLR station Royal Victoria (the stop before Custom House), the station is a seven-minute walk to the venue. Alternatively, dedicated WTM London buses run by Big Bus Tours and TfL will also transport delegates from Jubilee Line Station Canning Town to the West Entrance of ExCeL.
• Also, Emirates Air Line cable car, which goes to the West Entrance of ExCel is offering all WTM London delegates free travel for the duration of the event. It has an interchange with North Greenwich Underground Station on the Jubilee Line. The Cable Car can also be accessed from the Thames Clipper boat service, which sails from Westminster, stopping at Embankment, Blackfriars, London Bridge, Tower, Canary Wharf and The 02 (for the Emirates Airline).
• Delegates for the Travel Tech Show at WTM, Global Village, UK & Ireland, Africa and North Africa, Middle Eastregions and the International Media Centre are advised to access WTM London via the West Entrance of ExCeL.
• Delegates for Europe & Mediterranean, A Taste of ILTM at WTM, the Wellness Lounge, Asia Pacific/ Indian Ocean, the Americas and Caribbean regions and the WTM Global Stage and Networking Area are advised to use DLR stop Prince Regent to access ExCeL via the East Entrance of the venue.
• WTM London said it has previous experience of managing a successful event with a DLR station with access to ExCeL being closed. In 2009 Prince Regent Station and the East Entrance of ExCeL were shut due to the venue being extended. This meant all delegates used DLR station Custom House and the West Entrance of ExCeL.