London is World’s Number One for LGBTQ Destination Wedding in 2022. Meanwhile, Miami and Los Angeles make Top 20, as do Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver.
In what is probably the most far-reaching release of information on the subject, the global travel and tourism industry has a bundle of information on a sector of the LGBTQ+ market that wasn’t readily available until recently—destination weddings.
As one might expect, when the tourism subject is global, it usually means that New York City—it is the most popular U.S. destination of overseas visitors worldwide—is somewhere near the top. And, so it is, although the list released by jewellerybox, a London-based independent jewellery shop that sells fine jewellery online, has London ranked as No. 1 and NYC at No. 10 (See table and list below.)
In fact, New York City is the only U.S. destination in the Top 10, although Los Angeles and Miami do make the Top 20.
Top 10 LGBTQ+ Wedding Destinations in 2022
|City & Rank||LGBTQ + Danger Index Score||LGBTQ+ Openness in the City||No. of Years Same Sex Marriage Has Been legal||LGBTQ+ Score/Number|
|1. London, UK||299||4.94||7||7.01|
|2. Paris, France||287||4.45||8||6.74|
|3. Madrid, Spain||279||4.87||16||6.04|
|4. Barcelona, Spain||279||4.75||16||5.93|
|5. Toronto, Canada||309||4.78||16||5.51|
|7. Valencia, Spain||279||3.94||16||5.39|
|8. Amsterdam, Netherlands||265||4.72||20||5.35|
|9. Stockholm, Sweden||322||4.18||12||5.22|
|10. New York City, USA||187||4.91||6||5.21|
● Cities ranked 11 through 20: (11) Sitges; (12) Calgary; (13) Vancouver, BC; (14) Maspalomas; (15) Melbourne; (16) Miami; (17) Antwerp; (18) Los Angeles; (19) Berlin; and (20) Oslo.
● London is the world’s best LGBTQ+ wedding destination, followed by Paris, which is the world’s 2nd best LGBTQ+ wedding destination.
● New York City is the world’s 10th best LGBTQ+ wedding destination in 2022. With same sex marriage having been made legal 6 years ago, average summer temperatures of 23.7˚C (74.6˚F), a high “Instagrammability” score owing to over 32,000,000 posts and over 1,300 romantic hotels and restaurants for couples to choose from, it is not surprising that New York City has been named among the world’s top 10 best LGBTQ+ wedding destinations.
● A total of three Spanish cities have featured in the top 10. While Madrid is the world’s 3rd best LGBTQ+ wedding destination; Barcelona, with an LGBTQ+ score of 5.93, has been named the world’s 4th best LGBTQ+ wedding destination and Valencia, having an LGBTQ+ score of 5.39, is the world’s 7th best LGBTQ+ wedding destination.
● The Netherlands was the first country to legalize same sex marriage nearly 21 years ago in 2001. Two Dutch cities have featured in the top 30 LGBTQ+ wedding destinations, including Amsterdam, in 8th place and Rotterdam, in 29th place.
● São Paulo, Brazil and Leipzig, Germany, in 24th and 59th place in the overall ranking, respectively, offer the cheapest accommodation at an average of $74.58 per night. However, Ibiza Town, Spain, in 39th place in the overall ranking has the most expensive rooms going for $294.50 a night, on average.
Click here to read the complete jewellerybox article.
You know what a powerful force the LGBTQ+ community is for the travel industry. Connect THRIVE Summit presents a multi-layered approach to strategically tapping into this group that’s highly motivated to explore the world and has big spending potential. Register today for this year’s Connect THRIVE Summit, June 4-5 in Orlando, collocating with IPW.
Through industry panels, case studies and networking opportunities, learn to connect with the LGBTQ+ community in a way you never have before.
|We can’t wait to see you THRIVE in Orlando.|